Do you have to work your triceps but don’t have time to get to the gym? No problem, to get rid of apologies, I have prepared 7 exercises that you can do at home, just with your body weight.
By the way, did you know that the tricep is 2/3 the size of the arm? So if you want a big, strong, and toned arm, don’t focus on the biceps, but on the triceps,
With these 7 triceps exercises, you will make sure that you have not “skipped” any training, even if you are busy or do not have a gym subscription.
The most important thing about these triceps exercises is that you can do them anywhere and anytime you have free time, it doesn’t take much time, you can do them when you take a short break and the results are safe because I use them while training at home.
Before we see which are and how to perform the 7 best home triceps bodyweight exercises for big, strong, and toned arms, let’s see some information about the anatomy of the triceps, to better understand what is the function of this muscle and how it helps us.
Photo Source: The Muscle Monster
The triceps is the muscle in the back of the arm, whose main function is to extend the elbow – in other words, to straighten the arm.
Among the arm muscles, the tricep has the largest, reaching two-thirds of their total volume.
Thus, if your goal is to add extra inches to the circumference of your arms in the shortest possible time, intelligent triceps training is extremely useful.
The triceps consists of 3 ends:
• Side head – is positioned on the outside of the arm and is what gives that horseshoe look.
• Medial head – is located in the middle below the other two ends and even if it is not directly visible contributes significantly to the total size of this muscle group
• Long head – is located closer to the body and is the longest of the three, because it starts from the shoulder blade, not from the upper arm bone like the other two.
All 3 ends work together to straighten the elbow, and the long end helps adduct the arm (brings it closer to the body as in the pull-over exercise).
Knowing this information about the anatomy of the triceps, let’s see what are the 7 best home tricep bodyweight exercises for big, strong, toned arms. at-home.
The 7 best home tricep bodyweight exercises for big, strong, toned arms. at-home for today’s workout are:
1) Diamond Push-Ups
2) Overhead Backpack Single-Arm Tricep Extension
3) Plank Up Down
4) Triceps Dips
5) Triceps Extension
6) Skull Crushers
7) Overhead Backpack Tricep Extension
3 sets x 10 reps, 15 seconds rest between each exercise, 1-minute between sets.
1. Diamond Push-Ups
Nothing beats diamond pushups for building an iron chest. And not only the chest. Diamond push-ups are also a top-notch exercise to make your triceps grow.
Targets: Triceps and inner chest.
How to do it:
• Get on your hands and knees.
• Position your hands to close together so your index fingers and thumbs make a diamond shape. It might look like a triangle, depending on the flexibility of your thumbs.
• Stretch your legs back into a standard push-up position.
• Keeping your core braced, lower yourself until your chest reaches the floor. Your elbows will flare out to the sides.
• Return to the starting position.
2. Overhead Backpack Single-Arm Tricep Extension
Photo Source: Deccan Chronicle
For this exercise, you’ll need a backpack filled with books. This exercise is performed at a slightly different angle than the tricep extension with both hands, so, it will help your triceps differently.
How to do it:
• Stand straight, grab both straps of the backpack and swing your backpack behind your head.
• Instead of the backpack hanging behind you as in the case of the triceps extension with both hands, it’s going to be angled towards your opposite shoulder.
• From there, you’re going to extend your elbow until your arm it’s almost locked out over your head and then lower the backpack back down behind your head in the direction of your opposite shoulder until your form is a little lower than parallel and then extend and repeat.
3. Plank Up Down
This is one of the best triceps workouts.
How to do it:
• Get down into a push-up position and keep your core tight.
• Then, lift one hand off the floor, bend your arm and lower yourself down on that forearm.
• From there, repeat the same process on the other side, so that now you are on both elbows, in a traditional plank position.
• Then, alternate sides, by extending the elbow that you originally lowered to the ground, pressing yourself up, and plating your hand in place of your forearm.
• Repeat the same thing on the other side.
4. Triceps Dips
The triceps are made up of three heads, hence their name, and if you want to increase the strength and size of your upper arms you need to work all three.
Fortunately, you can do just that with one exercise – the triceps dip.
How to do it:
• To begin the exercise, you need to place your hands on a chair, on a bench at least shoulder-width apart. Now you have to slide your butt off the bench and extend your legs out.
• Now you have to straighten your arms while keeping your elbows a bit bent to keep tension on your triceps and not on your elbow joints.
• Now start bending your elbows to bring your body towards the floor and bend it until they’re at 90 degrees with the bench. Make sure you keep your back close to the bench.
• Now when you reach the bottom, start pressing down into the bench while straightening your elbows to get back into your original position.
5. Triceps Extension – 10 reps
Photo Source: Daily Bodyweight Exercises
A “forgotten” exercise, so to speak, but very effective if you are at home and working your triceps without the equipment at the gym. They look like cable extensions, but you can do them anywhere, anytime. This exercise is a very good isolation exercise
How to do it:
• Get on the floor into a push-up position, your elbow should be below your shoulder, keep your palms facing down on the floor (this is the forearm plank position).
• From this position extend your elbow as high as you can, fully extend it, return into the starting position, and repeat.
• This is 1 rep.
6. Skull Crushers – 10 reps
Photo Source: Men’s Health
This exercise is targeting all the 3 triceps heads.
How to do it:
• We’re gonna get on an elevated surface (furniture, the edge of a table/ bed).
• From here, we’re gonna go straight down with the elbows keeping your elbows tight, your whole body should be tight, and you’re gonna come back up to a full extension while keeping your body in a perfect position.
7. Overhead Backpack Tricep Extension
Photo Source: YouTube
For this exercise, you’ll need a backpack. A backpack filled with books can hit your triceps and can be almost as effective just like a regular dumbbell triceps extension in the gym.
How to do it:
• Load your backpack with books or some heavy objects that will weigh it down, then you will grab the left shoulder strap with your right hand, and the right shoulder strap with your left hand.
• From there swing your backpack behind your head so that your elbows are bent and your forearms are parallel with the floor, or even a little lower.
• Then, extend your elbows and raise the backpack over your head until your arms are locked out.
• As you do this, you wanna make sure your elbows are staying nice and tight together, rather than flaring out.
• Then, once you are almost locked out, slowly lower the backpack back down until your hands are slightly lower than your elbows, and repeat.
As you can see, there are a lot of exercises you can do to train your triceps. So, it’s a thing of the past to go to the gym and focus only on the biceps. Get big, strong, and toned arms by training both your biceps and triceps.
Now that I have shown you how to train your triceps, you can set the perfect workout program for your arms.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- Top 14 push-up variations for strength and explosive power
- The ultimate preparing summer chiseled arms and upper body workout for beginners and intermediates
- Top 8 effective home exercises for sculpted toned arms and shoulders for women
- 10 Brutal Bodyweight Exercises for Bigger and Shredded Shoulders – No Equipment
- 4 Simple and Effective Bicep Exercises – Home Workout | Bodyweight Only
- 8 Best Home Bicep Exercises to Blast Your Biceps – No Equipment