Hello guys, I have written in the past both about WALKING and about RUNNING. I noticed that both articles were appreciated by the readers of this blog, so I thought I’d write a comparative article between the two modes of movement.
Walking and jogging are aerobic exercises that strengthen the cardiovascular system, help burn calories, and lead to better physical endurance. Walking is a moderate-intensity exercise and has a low impact, while jogging is a higher intensity exercise and helps to burn more calories per minute.
Both lead to weight loss, increased energy levels and sleep quality, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
There are many reasons why some people choose to integrate running into their daily exercise routine. Running helps fight stress, increases energy levels throughout the day, maintains heart health, improves mood, and helps in weight loss.
Walking and running share the same benefits brought to the general health and physical condition. Like other activities like this, walking and jogging will help to:
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduction of fat tissue
- Will strengthen muscles and bones
- Protects against heart attack
- Protects against stroke
- Reduce the risk of diabetes
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Against depression
- Against stress
- Improves the quality of sleep
- Increases the resistance to effort
- Reduces the risk of developing dementia as we get older.
Running is considered to be a more effective physical exercise for reaping the maximum benefits of an aerobic workout in a shorter period. Equally true is that people who want to get the same results of the run can do this by walking, as long as it extends over a longer period.
Moreover, walking is recommended for people with heart problems or those who do not have a good physical condition and are just starting an active lifestyle.
To walk, you don’t need special clothes or shoes.
Walking most often helps to eliminate fat tissue faster than running because exercise at a lower intensity causes the body to use fat as a fuel. But as the intensity of effort increases through the walk-and-run transition, more and more carbohydrates are used for energy production.
Another difference, for example, running for 15 minutes burns about the same number of calories consumed in a half-hour walk.
Last but not least, walking helps you lose weight. Even if they do not offer the same results in the short term, in the long term walking will prove to be much more efficient than running. The explanation is that walking reduces cortisol levels, thus enjoying the effects of weight loss, without worrying about the sensation of hunger that your run gives you.
Another important factor in determining the effectiveness of running or running training is the intensity of the effort. For example, running on a flat surface is much less tiring than the one on the slope. Walking at a slow pace will increase your heart rate much less than walking at an alert pace or climbing a hill.
Click to Learn about a professional System That Helps You Increase Your Strength, Flexibility, and Stability
Risks of Walking and Running
You can’t hurt yourself while walking, so there is no risk of injury.
The chances of injury are higher in runners, compared to people who opt for walking as a cardio exercise because the runner exerts greater pressure on the joints, hips, knees, and ankles.
You can reduce the risk of injuries associated with running by following a few basic rules:
- Wear special running shoes, which provide stability and soft support points for the sole.
- Choose the right size for your shoes run, no bigger, no less than you need.
- Run-on softer surfaces (grass, soil, slag, or other specially designed portions).
My Recommended Running Equipment:
- Women Zoom Winflo 6 Running Shoes
- Men’s Questar Flow Sneaker Running Shoe
- Women Hiking Athletic Joggers Pants – Quick Dry Running Pants with Zipper Pockets, Lightweight
- Men Quick-Dry Casual Jogger Sweatpants Straight Leg Running Athletic Pants with Pockets
- Premium Workout Shirts for Men with Anti-Odor, Moisture-Wicking Technology
- Performance Fast Dry Breathable Athletic T-Shirt | Women Running Short-Sleeves tee
- Fitbit Advanced Smartwatch with Tools for Heart Health, Stress Management & Skin Temperature Trends, Alexa Built-in
- Men and Women Running Sunglasses
- Hydro Cell Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle – Sport Design
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- 8 weeks running challenge program for beginners
- 15 minutes belly fat burn h.i.i.t home workout for beginners
- 10 minutes of amazing cardio for beginners
- Jumping rope: 8 amazing benefits for health + 4 exercises that torch fat
- The ultimate full-body fat-burning cardio workout – 3 circuits