This risotto with porcini mushrooms, parmesan, and parsley is a traditional Italian creamy rice recipe. How to make risotto al funghi? What type of rice do we use?
What are the differences between risotto and pilaf?
In this risotto recipe, you can use both forest mushrooms (porcini, Chanterelle mushrooms) and white or brown champignons, but from my point of view, the taste of porcini mushrooms is incomparable.
An authentic mushroom risotto cannot be mounted in a metal circle. Risotto has a soft, creamy consistency, thanks to the cooking method and the finishing with butter and grated parmesan. The risotto is voluptuous and smooth, the rice grains being tied to a velvety sauce.
Recommended Read: Mushrooms – Superfood: 8 Benefits, Varieties, Nutritional Value
Of course, the rice is not boiled until it becomes pulpy, the grains having to remain slightly al dente, with a firm middle.
For the risotto, special types of rice are used, with a large grain such as Arborio or Carnaroli. Those with long and sharp grains also go to pilaf, they remain separated after boiling (grain by grain). Authentic pilaf is made according to a clear method, it contains pieces of meat (chicken, or pork) and many vegetables, etc.
There are also simple, unpretentious recipes for boiled rice with vegetables or rice with mushrooms, side dishes that everyone makes regularly. But these are neither pilaf nor risotto.
• 250 g of large grain rice (Arborio, Carnaroli), I used Arborio
• 350 g of fresh mushrooms (porcini, Chanterelle, white or brown champignons), I used porcini (they have an unmistakable aroma, and it’s a shame not to use them now that it’s their season)
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 50 g of butter with at least 80% fat
• 1 small chopped onion
• 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• 60 ml dry white wine
• 800 ml vegetable soup
• 60 g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
• Ground pepper
• 1 tbsp chopped green parsley
• ¼ tsp thyme.
• Green parsley
• Parmesan flakes
• Thin slices of porcini mushrooms.
INSTRUCTIONS for this creamy and healthy dinner – porcini mushrooms risotto:
1. I heated the vegetable soup in a saucepan, it must boil slowly.
2. I cleaned the porcini well. Since the mushrooms left the water, I sauteed them separately in a pan. First, I detached the legs from the hats. I chopped the legs and left them aside.
3. I cut the hats into thin slices and fried them on high heat in a pan, with a spoonful of olive oil flavored with a crushed clove of garlic. I would like you to be here to feel the aromas, it smells incredible in my kitchen! I put out the fire and left them aside.
4. In another, deeper pan, heat the rest of the oil together with half of the butter. I finely chopped the onion and the second clove of garlic and sauteed them until they became translucent, without browning. I poured the dry rice into the pan and cooked it for about 2-3 minutes until all the grains were well covered by the surrounding aromatic oil.
5. I also added the mushroom legs (finely chopped) and sauteed them until their water evaporated and they started to sizzle. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and ground thyme. I also added finely chopped parsley. Careful! the vegetable soup is also salty! I washed it all down with a small glass of dry white wine.
6. I waited for the alcohol to evaporate from the wine and only now I started to add the hot soup over the rice, little by little, and I waited for the liquid to be completely absorbed by the rice before adding it. Everything is cooked on low heat, continuously stirring with a wooden spoon.
On average it takes approx. 15-20 minutes. A few grains of rice must be tested and if they have a slightly al dente texture, with a harder core, it means that the risotto is ready. If it seems to you that there is not enough liquid around, you can add 50 ml of soup in addition to the recipe.
7. I took the pan with rice off the heat and added the other half of the butter (it should be cold) and the grated parmesan. I mixed them vigorously to incorporate them well. Also now I added the previously sauteed mushrooms hats as well as some chopped green parsley. Cover the pan with a lid for 2-3 minutes. What incredible flavors.
Notes: This step is very important for risotto. Cold butter and grated Parmesan cheese will increase the creaminess of the rice with mushrooms.
8. Risotto is served hot, on deep plates. I decorated it with slices of fresh porcini, parmesan flakes, and a little chopped parsley. It must be hot, fluid, and creamy. Every minute of delay leads to the absorption of the surrounding liquid by the rice grains and the strengthening of this wonderful risotto.
Dinner is a lot more than just the most exciting part of your day. It also happens to be one of the most important as well, so don’t let this opportunity pass you by without taking action.
The world of easy and healthy dinner recipes is out there, and it’s up to you to grab a plate and find it. Once you do that, you won’t look back. After all, what’s a better way to start your weekend than with a big bowl of delicious porcini mushroom risotto?
The rice will be creamy and soft if you have vegetable broth. The key ingredient in this recipe is the porcini mushrooms, they have a rich flavor that emits earthy undertones. This dish is nutritious, easy to make, and quite delicious too.
A symphony of tastes and aromas on one plate.
You should try this healthy recipe, it is creamy, voluptuous, extremely aromatic, and mouth-watering, and can be the perfect choice for a family dinner.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- Superfoods – The Complete Guide: What Are They? Benefits, Importance, Types, Use, Recipes
- 6 fast and healthy dinner ideas that help you lose weight
- 7 dinner ideas for all week that help you lose weight fast
- Delicious Autumn Arugula Salad with Feta Cheese, Grapes, and Pears
- Healthy and Dietary Chicken Breast with Spinach, Corn, Turmeric, and Mozzarella (2 High Protein, Low-Carb Dinner Recipes)