In the fight against processed products, those that have unhealthy preservatives, and additives, we turn our attention to alternative options. Few know about superfoods and how they can be a perfect ally for a balanced diet. Less popular or consumed but without really knowing how beneficial they are, superfoods deserve a special status.
If you still don’t know what superfoods are and why they are important or how they should be consumed, here is a guide to help you understand everything about them and why it is important to use all types of these type of foods.
What are superfoods?
Superfoods are a diverse collection of foods rich in nutrients. In this category, we will find berries, cereals, seeds, algae, vegetables, and fruits that can have a beneficial effect on the body. All superfoods contain a high percentage of vitamins, enzymes, minerals, and amino acids or antioxidants.
Compared to classic healthy foods that generally contain some nutritional properties, a superfood will have 12 or even more beneficial properties.
They deserve their name because they are products rich in nutrients and vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D) that contain few calories and lead to a reduction in diseases such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc.
Superfoods in traditional medicine
Long before this concept of “superfoods” was launched on the nutritional market, traditional forms of medicine used certain foods with healing properties, which ensured body-mind balance and supported well-being.
Traditional Chinese medicine, for example, considers medicinal mushrooms, ginseng, and goji berries to be superfoods. Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine) relies in the same way on seasonal fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and healing spices.
These foods contribute to well-being, balanced, both mentally and physically. Here are some benefits:
• strengthen immunity
• are a dose of clean energy and can help with metabolic processes
• for the skin they maintain firmness, stimulate collagen production
• prevent the effects of premature aging, by providing vitamins, minerals, antioxidants
• provides high doses of nutrients that most of the time we do not take from something else we consume
• they are like fuel, as they help to achieve the ideal weight (burning calories)
• contributes to the detoxification of the whole body, by regulating the pH.
The importance of these foods
Very often modern diets are not very nutritious although they should be. There are many foods available on the market that are not healthy at all and that are easy to prepare and consume quickly compared to their healthy equivalents.
However, an unhealthy diet is not at all beneficial for the body, hair, skin, and immune system. It has a negative impact even on your emotional state. When a diet includes these type of foods every day, it gives your body everything it needs to function well and stay healthy.
There are several types of superfoods and the list is also very comprehensive. To make things simpler, in the following I will explain each of the 4 categories in which they are divided.
Types of superfoods
These foods are vegetables with green leaves that have high concentrations of vitamins, proteins, minerals, healthy bacteria and we can include here:
• Barley grass
• Cabbage kale
2) Nuts and fruits
Many fruits and nuts have very good properties that help to quickly eliminate bad bacteria. The most important are:
• Acai berries
• Goji berries
• Sea buckthorn
• Cocoa beans
3) Spices and aromatic herbs
On the list you can also find a series of healthy herbs that contain a lot of vitamins. Besides all this, most have medicinal properties. Among them is
• Aloe vera
4) Other types of superfoods
Bee products such as
• Royal jelly
It is also a great variety of algae (such as spirulina) that can be considered superfoods.
• Rapeseed oil
• Coconut oil
• Avocado oil
• Pumpkin seed oil
• Sesame seed oil
How you can use them:
They can be eaten at any time of the day. I also present a daily diet that includes them.
• For breakfast you can start with almond milk and oatmeal, to which you can add a few pieces of dark chocolate and chopped nuts.
• For lunch you can take a slice of wholemeal bread that has been toasted with olive oil, slices of tomatoes, garlic, and sprouted seeds as a garnish.
• For dinner, go for broccoli, spinach, or even kale with vegetables, along with a healthy portion of quinoa.
• For snacks, on the list of options you can find green apples, oranges, blueberries, or even a handful of nuts.
Recipes with superfoods:
- Delicious chickpeas stew with curry, coriander, and ginger
- Delicious healthy gluten-free eggplant stuffed with vegetables and quinoa
- Healthy chicken breast with creamy turmeric sauce and mushrooms – low-carb recipe
- Healthy vegan homemade wrap with spinach, avocado, carrots, and zucchini
- Delicious autumn porcini mushrooms with garlic, and thyme
- Vegan gluten-free almond snack bars with dates filling
- A delicious season recipe: pumpkin soup with nut, and sour cream
I hope that this article has been a superfood for your soul and that you have learned what healthy living is all about.
Superfoods are alive, functional foods that make up a nutrient-dense diet. When consuming these types of foods, it’s almost like feeding your body a multi-vitamin, except in real food form. This means that you’re boosting your health and preventing chronic disease without having to take a pill.
These are foods that are low in calories and high in nutrients. There is no official definition of them but they include dark leafy vegetables, fish, nuts, berries, beans, and even chocolate!
Most importantly though, they are foods that you should try to include in your diet regularly. Not only will they help support a healthy weight but also a healthy body, mind, and spirit.
I’ve now shown you all the information necessary to go out there and find the best superfoods one by one.
These foods can be consumed daily, long-term, and safely, including by children.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?