Pumpkin is food-specific to autumn, being loved for its sweet taste and because it can be used in the kitchen to prepare different delicious foods. It can be eaten raw, baked, boiled, in the form of pies, tarts, shakes, salads, soups. But besides these qualities, pumpkin is also a rich source of vitamins and nutrients beneficial for health.
It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, is anti-cancer and anti-diabetic, has very few calories, but is also a rich source of fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
The main elements we find in pumpkin are vitamin A, carbohydrates, fats, essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6, fiber, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, E, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, manganese and iron.
• Stimulates weight loss. Pumpkin is an often overlooked source of fiber, whose generous number helps maintain satiety over time, in exchange for a very small number of calories. Diets high in fiber help people eat less.
• Reduces fatigue (the seeds)
• Stimulates the libido (the seeds)
• Improves peripheral circulation
• Helps faster healing of burns. A piece of sterile gauze, folded, soaked in freshly squeezed pumpkin juice and applied to the affected area
• Maintains the health of the circulatory and nervous system
• Fight insomnia, depression, anxiety, and migraines (freshly squeezed juice)
• Strengthens bones, prevent fractures, osteoporosis (seeds are consumed)
• Improves memory (consumption of seeds, rich in essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6, vitamin A)
• Stimulates kidney activity, prevents kidney stones
• Prevents cardiovascular disease
• Increases liver immunity (500 g of raw or cooked pulp is eaten daily and 1-2 glasses of pumpkin juice, freshly squeezed, are drunk.
• Helps improve vision – beta-carotene helps maintain good eyesight as we age and reduces the risk of cataracts, one of the main causes leading to vision loss.
• Prevents aging, wrinkles, pigmentation spots that appear with aging
• Combat constipation
• Detoxifies the body, strengthens the immune system
Thejuice is obtained from pumpkin pulp, having a high content of vitamin D, iron, phosphorus, and copper. The juice can be easily obtained in the house and can be consumed as such or can be used even for the preparation of cakes.
To prepare the juice you need a pumpkin, to which you clean the peel and cut into pieces. Put the pumpkin pieces in a fruit juicer and add a few teaspoons of honey to sweeten it. As you like, you can add cinnamon or ginger.
This type of oil is obtained by pressing at cold the pumpkin seeds, being rich in vitamins, anti-inflammatory agents. Consuming this oil has many health benefits due to its high content of zinc, antioxidants, and magnesium. These benefits include maintaining heart health and urinary tract, but also reducing inflammation.
This oil can be consumed in salads, as a dressing, in cream soups, as an ingredient for sauces or baking vegetables.
These seeds contain a high amount of magnesium, an essential mineral for the health of the body.
They can be eaten raw, fried, but the raw seeds are healthier and have a high intake of vitamins and minerals. You can consume them as such, or add them both in salads and other foods.
Without a doubt, the pumpkin has so much to offer. Not only is this squash an excellent source of beta-carotene, good for your eyesight, but it also boasts plenty of flavors and is great for soups. This hardy vegetable might just be one of the best foods around!
Pumpkin truly deserves a place of importance in our diets. The properties it contains are beneficial and can help our body deal with many problems, including oxidative stress, inflammation, polycystic ovaries, menstrual disorders, and certain skin conditions.
You probably didn’t know pumpkin is such a great superfood! Now that you do, go ahead, and engross yourself in the wonderful world of pumpkin!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- Fish for an iron health
- List of the permitted & prohibited foods in the weight loss diet
- The most efficient list: 35 ideal foods in weight loss
- Efficient list of the main categories of foods that help you lose weight
- Food that helps us to lose weight