Today, I will continue the series of articles about minerals, with another important micronutrient for the health of our body, namely Zinc
Zinc is an essential mineral for life, and its health benefits are innumerable, although most are not known to the general public.
From skin, immunity, and countless diseases, it can play an important role in almost any problem. Try to eat as many foods that have this mineral in their composition.
It is found in small amounts in all fluids and tissues of the human body. This nutrient contributes to the proper functioning of the thyroid, immune system, reproductive system, and cognitive function.
At the same time, it helps in the processes of division and development of cells, accelerates wound healing, and promotes the breakdown of carbohydrates.
Among the beneficial actions of this mineral on health are:
• Supporting the immune system – A low level of it can increase the susceptibility to infections
• Important role in cellular processes – cells need it to function properly. The process of cell division is important for the development and optimal functioning of the body. In the absence of it, the process of cell division can be compromised
• Protect cells against oxidative stress – it has antioxidant properties and, along with other antioxidants, protects cells against free radicals, compounds that accelerate the aging process and can promote diseases such as cardiovascular disease
• Maintaining fertility – it contributes to the ovulation process in women and helps produce semen and testosterone in men
• Normal metabolism of vitamin A – it is an essential component that helps transport vitamin A into the blood
• Maintaining healthy hair, nails, and skin
• Maintaining the health of the bone system – the absorption of calcium in the bones depends on an adequate level of zthis mineral. It is essential for maintaining bone health and supporting rapid healing in the event of a fracture
• Normal metabolism of nutrients – it is an essential part of the process of synthesis and breakdown of carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids
• Maintaining cognitive function – it has an important role in the way neurons communicate with each other and contribute to the way we learn
An inadequate and undiversified diet can lead to zinc deficiency, ie the lack of a necessary amount of this mineral for the body to function in normal parameters.
About 70% of this mineral is obtained from food comes from animal products. Lean meat, liver, eggs, fortified cereals, and seafood (especially oysters) are true zinc resources. Because many vegetarian diets lack these foods, in vegetarians, zinc absorption is generally slow.
A low level of zinc is also observed in people who constantly consume alcohol or in the elderly.
Symptoms of zinc deficiency
The deficiency has the following symptoms:
• Immune imbalance
• Hair loss
• Changing the sense of taste and smell
• Hearing problems
• Change in growth rate
• Skin manifestations
• Occurrence of acute diarrhea
• Late wound healing
• Decreased appetite
It can be found in the form of food supplements, but some foods contain this essential mineral in abundance. Zinc-containing foods are as follows:
• Dairy products and eggs
• Fish and seafood – salmon, sardines, tuna, lobster, shellfish, crab or mussels
Recommended daily amount of zinc
Providing the required daily amount of zinc helps prevent many complications. An adult needs about 0.2 mg/kg of zinc per day; it is not allowed to exceed this amount
The required daily dose of zthis mineral varies depending on each organism, age, or sex, according to the table below:
|STAGE||AGE||MEN (Mg/ Day)||WOMEN (Mg/ Day)|
|Infants||0 – 6 months||2||2|
|Babies||7 – 12 months||3||3|
|Children||1 – 3 years||3||3|
|Children||4- – 8 years||5||5|
|Children||9 – 13 years||8||8|
|Teenagers||14 – 18 years||11||9|
|Adults||Above 19 years||11||8|
Adverse effects of zinc
Like any other substance used in excess, zinc can also cause certain side effects, which you should avoid. People with low zinc levels should take zinc supplements.
Side effects that may occur, as a result of excess zinc include:
Zinc is found in nutritional supplements in the form of tablets or capsules. They contain different types of zinc. Because this mineral is not easily absorbed by the body, it is sometimes attached to another substance such as amino acids.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- Vitamin C the winter’s star that strengthens the immune system
- 9 health benefits of vitamin A
- The importance and benefits of vitamin D for our body
- The 5 Healthy Food Categories You Need to Include in Your Daily Diet to Lose Weight
- Top 7 alkaline foods which make wonders for the health