Spring has sprung, which means we’ve pulled away the sweaters and boots and are once again able to enjoy a little sunshine on our skin. It’s also the time of year where many of us need to detox from holiday indulgences, whether that’s the high-sugar treats or the copious amounts of alcohol, it’s important to get our bodies back into a regular routine.
Spring has come, and the variety of vegetables you will see in the coming months (spinach, wild garlic, stevia, sorrel, red orach, nettles, radishes, kohlrabi leaves, parsley, dill, green onions, green garlic, dandelions, watercress, etc. will help us detoxify our body after the white season.
Detoxification and hydration of the body will be done naturally, without subjecting the body to additional stress as detox diets and diets generally do.
In springtime, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of new growth and fresh food. The year is fresh, the air is filled with the smell of greenery and flowers, and you feel more alive than you have in months.
It’s easy to forget about your bad habits and unhealthy lifestyle choices this time of year—after all, you’re just so happy to be back outside! Before you know it, you’ve overindulged in sugary treats and heavy dinners, and your body is ready to take a break from its winter slumber with a little detox.
While getting back into exercise is great for helping your body shed its winter layer and get back into shape, sometimes what it really needs is a diet change. I’ll help you make that change as simply as possible with this quick smoothie recipe:
This smoothie is one way to ease into the season with ingredients that are light, healthy, and delicious.
Before presenting the recipe, let’s see some information about 2 of the main ingredients of this delicious, healthy, smoothie, namely: nettles and sorrel, and all the sources of nutrients it offers.
Nettles are found in almost all cultivated or uncultivated areas in gardens, forests, meadows, through bushes, or near ditches. You can easily find it at the market, where you can say that it has an unbeatable price.
There are plants that, in contact with the skin, produce inflammation accompanied by burning and intense itching, but if they are harvested and eaten properly, nettles have a lot of miraculous properties for the body.
What nutrients do nettles contain?
Nettles are beneficial herbs for the body due to their high content of vitamin A, B2, C, D, E, and K, acetic acid, formic acid, and mineral salts, but they are also rich in antioxidants and lecithin.
They are easily found all over the globe and have been used for hundreds of years for food, in various foods, or the dry state, for medicinal purposes, for teas.
Regular consumption of nettles, in various forms, energizes and kills bacteria in the body.
12 Benefits of Nettle Consumption:
• Improves the immune system
• Regular consumption of nettles, in various forms, energizes and kills bacteria in the body.
• Improve cardiac activity
• Consumption of nettles has a laxative and diuretic effect
• They are a reliable ally in diets, due to the antioxidants they contain
• Keep your liver healthy
• Helps regulate blood sugar levels
• Reduce blood pressure
• Prevent anemia
• Stimulates hair growth
• Prevent water retention
• Reduce gingival bleeding.
Surely a lot of people have heard of sorrel. It is used in soups, especially, but also in salads or as an aromatic plant. It has many properties and benefits for the body, being rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
It has a sweet-sour taste, is ideal for salads and soups, and is found on the roadsides throughout Europe.
It is usually consumed in spring when the leaves are fresh and young.
What nutrients does sorrel contain?
What are the benefits of sorrel? In addition to being one of the low-calorie foods, the plant contains a large amount of vitamins C, A, E, K, but also potassium, phosphorus, calcium, zinc, iron, and protein, according to studies.
7 Benefits of sorrel:
• Strong antioxidant effect
• Natural laxative
• Strengthens the immune system and reduces inflammation
• Improves eyesight
• Beautifies the skin
• Natural detoxifier
• General tonic
Given that we are talking about a homemade recipe, we are talking about natural health. Are you ready? Today I propose a very very delicious and healthy nettles, sorrel, and cucumber green smoothie recipe for quick spring detoxification of the whole body.
• 120 grams of nettles (cleaned and washed)
• 2 sorrel ties (cleaned and washed)
• 1 cucumber
• 300 ml of almond milk
• 1 banana
• 1 orange
• 1 kiwi
• 3-4 mint leaves.
1. Wash the nettles very well under running water, then pour boiling water over them and leave them for a few minutes. I did this more for disinfection.)
2. Wash the sorrel leaves very well and chop them.
3. Peel the fruits and slice them, then slice the cucumber.
4. Add all the ingredients to the blender and mix well until completely incorporated.
Below you have the result of this healthy and delicious nettle, sorrel, and cucumber green smoothie!
Smoothies should be part of our diet – they can be a hearty breakfast, a refreshing drink for hot days, a delicious and relaxing treat, or an essential part of a spring detox diet as this nettle, sorrel, and cucumber green smoothie.
This spring detox smoothie is the perfect thing to have when you’re feeling sluggish or if you just need a little boost in your day. It’s simple but packed with nutrients.
The nettles and sorrel can be found in most grocery stores around April/May and are both easy to grow. If you don’t have access to either, you can substitute spinach.
Nettles are known for their high iron content (great for anemia), and they also contain potassium and calcium, so they really do the body good.
Sorrel is another great source of iron and Vitamin C, plus it’s loaded with antioxidants.
The cucumber will cool down the smoothie and give it a refreshing taste – I love this part!
Good to know:
• Do not add sugar. The recipes contain fruit, which is sweet.
• Keep in mind that you have included fruit in your drink and adjust your diet for the rest of the day so that you do not overdo it.
• Slowly chew each mouthful of smoothie before swallowing.
• To take full advantage of the nutritional and healing properties of smoothies, consume them immediately after preparation, within 15 minutes.
• It is important to have the right ingredients, but without a suitable blender, the whole preparation process can be easily compromised.
• A smoothie can be easily prepared with a blender or a food processor. These appliances are easy to use and ideal for preparing smoothies.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- How to Make a Perfect Green Smoothie – The 5 Rules to Follow
- The Perfect Energizing and Detoxifying Green Smoothie Recipe: Broccoli, Spinach, Kiwi, Apple Cider Vinegar
- Super Green Cleanse Chlorella, Spinach, Parsley, and Dill Smoothie
- Best Detoxifying Cucumber, Dill, Basil, and Mint Green Smoothie
- Detoxifying Arugula, Avocado, and Kiwi Green Smoothie