For many people, being overweight or obese is a tough condition to accept or handle. The number of individuals suffering from obesity is increasing around the world at an alarming rate.
It may be difficult to understand how a person can become overweight or obese because it is so common and so many are living with this problem. But the truth is that the causes of obesity can be different in every individual, but they mostly have to do with a poor lifestyle.
Among the most common causes of obesity are eating too much, lack of exercise, and genetics.
Obesity is the most widespread nutrition disorder and is characterized by an accumulation of fat reserves in the body, which leads to abnormal weight gain.
Obesity is a chronic disease whose prevalence is increasing and which causes the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, gallbladder disease, and some forms of cancer.
The extra kilos is not a stigma, but it should motivate you to take action early, especially if you discover this problem until it becomes very serious and difficult to treat, such as soft obesity. The reason is not an aesthetic one, but related to your health and the complications that you may suffer later!
Causes of obesity:
Obesity can be viewed as a consequence of the interaction between environmental factors and the individual genetic substrate.
Obesity results more frequently from excess caloric intake than from slowing metabolism. Diets high in fat and refined carbohydrates and a sedentary lifestyle favor weight gain.
There are types of deviation in eating behavior: acute bulimic disorder and nocturnal eating syndrome.
Risk factors are diet, stress, sedentary lifestyle, etc.
The physical effects of overweight/ obesity
It is important to know that among the conditions favored by overweight /obesity are:
• Heart stroke
• Head stroke
• Joint disorders, such as osteoarthritis
• Sleep apnea syndrome
• Kidney disease
• Breast, colon, kidney cancer
Psychological effects of overweight/ obesity
Psychological imbalances in overweight or obese patients arise from two different meanings:
• On the one hand, many obese patients eat for mental and emotional comfort, using food to counteract some problems or to fill some of the gaps.
• On the other hand, the extra kilos accumulated leads to a decrease in self-esteem, and patients feel marginalized, rejected, avoid social relationships, and may suffer from anxiety and depression.
Treatment of obesity
Obesity being a complex disease and having multiple causes, it is natural for the treatment to have a wide spectrum, with several therapeutic modalities interposed participating in obtaining a lasting result.
Dietary measures, nutritional education, behavioral therapy, physical education programs, drug treatments, support of support groups, and, in extreme cases, surgical therapy are envisaged.
The treatment of obesity starts with changing the patient’s lifestyle (diet, physical activity, behavioral changes). For good and lasting results, in weight loss, it is important to motivate the obese person. It must have realistic expectations: any patient entering a weight loss program must have goals that can be achieved, measurable, specific, and realistic.
The Diet Program for Obesity
The diet should instead contain foods that by their volume soothe the appetite and not be rich in nourishing principles. Vegetables, especially those rich in cellulose, are the food par excellence indicated in weight loss. Meat is allowed only in moderate quantities and only lean meat.
The rest, are green vegetables, salads, and fruits.
Bread can only be accepted as bran bread or at most whole bread.
The diet that will be subjected to obesity will be a diet of rehabilitation. We have to help them to not eat so more and be useless.
In establishing the weight loss diet, one begins by suppressing bread, then sugar, then fat, butter, and only at the end the alcohol.
If I have convinced you and you are ready to lose the extra pounds, you will find HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE some diets that I have made for you, and that can help you lose weight (they are quite restrictive, everyone’s body is different, in the case of obesity there is also the risk of certain diseases, and then my recommendation is to consult your doctor and perform a set of medical tests before trying them because there is a possibility that you will not fit these diets.
Foods Allowed for the Obese:
- Lean soups: tomato, red beet, or vegetable soup without pasta or dumplings (both in the morning and at noon).
- Vegetables: boiled potatoes or in the oven or mashed potatoes and only in a limited quantity.
- The green vegetables are all allowed, prepared with fat-free meat or boiled in water with a little salt or cam juice.
- Salads: scalded or raw with a little vinegar. raw salads (lettuce, spinach, parsley, dill, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery, radishes, bell peppers, eggplants, bean, raw onion, leeks, garlic, white and red cabbage, cauliflower, pumpkin), rich in vitamins, mineral salts, enzymes, antioxidants, substances with diuretic and purifying effects. Due to the large volume, the raw salad gives the feeling of saturation and will be served at the beginning of each meal.
- Poultry meat: only white meat.
- Pork: lean ham, lean pork muscle. Preferably cold steak.
- Fish: river fish, lean fish, lean sea fish, only grilled with a little lemon or vinegar.
- Eggs: admitted one, only from time to time.
- Dairy: they are allowed in the form of skimmed milk and yogurt (calcium and protein sources), unsalted degreased cow cheese, and kefir. The butter is allowed only in a very small quantity, 20 gr.
- The ideal dessert for the obese will consist of fresh fruits with a carbohydrate content below 10% (cherries, apricots, peaches, apples, pears, quinces, lemons, oranges, melons, grapes, currants, strawberries, blueberries raspberries).
- Plain water, spring water, or lemon juice improved water is drunk in a quantity of at least 2 liters, being a natural inhibitor of appetite. It is known that vitamin C in the lemon raises the adrenaline level and activates the metabolism that will remove more and more fats.
Foods that should be Avoided by the Obese
- We will reduce the foods that cause thirst: salted and peppered foods will have to disappear from the obese diet.
- Bread can only be admitted in a completely limited quantity, fried, whole, or bran bread. Do not exceed 50 g of bread at a meal.
- Sugar, sugary foods, pastries, cakes, and sugar creams, will be reduced to a minimum.
- Alcoholic beverages, wine, beer, champagne, etc., will have to be completely avoided.
I propose two menu options:
Menu of the day: Variant 1.
- Breakfast (8:00) – 200 ml unsweetened tea, a biscuit, a fruit.
- Lunch (Noon) – a green salad, a cucumber, or tomato salad without oil, only with a little apple vinegar, 2-3 radishes. lean fish (100 g). A boiled green vegetable in a lean cam soup. Raw fruits at the discretion. A slice of toast or 2-3 biscuits each one 10 grams.
- Dinner (19:00) – as in the afternoon, being able to replace the meat with 2 fresh eggs per glass.
Menu of the day: Variant 2
- Breakfast – 2 glasses of very weak tea, with 1 tsp of honey. Also, we will allow 1-2 biscuits.
Bread is completely excluded.
- Lunch – 100 grams of fried or boiled meat, 300 grams of green vegetables boiled in water, to which was added a little salt, a green salad or a salad of tomatoes, or cucumbers, with very little extra virgin olive oil, with lemon or a little apple vinegar; 250 grams of fruit, pears or apples.
- Dinner – will take 2 eggs in the glass or 2 fried eggs with polenta or roasted chicken or a fish; 200 grams of green vegetables; 250 grams of fruit.
At night, a warm infusion without sugar is recommended.
A Few Practical Tips Regarding Obesity
To strictly comply with the diet, it is recommended to know a few details:
- Maintaining the caloric ratio every day at established limits.
- Compliance with a regular meal schedule, with three or four meals a day, the last one at 19:00, using many vegetables and fruits, with low energy content, but with a higher volume (a single meal taken in the evening favors obesity).
- The morning breakfast is obligatory and cannot be replaced with coffee, considering the very high energy consumption in the day’s activities;
- Before breakfast and lunch, drink one cup of citrus juice (one lemon, one orange, one grapefruit, and two teaspoons of honey in 300 ml of plain water), taken on an empty stomach, to ensure a normal seat.
- Eliminating the consumption between meals of consistent snacks, cakes, biscuits, cookies, chips, and dried fruits.
- During the meal, no liquids are drunk and no other activities are performed (watching TV programs, reading newspapers, watching social networks, etc.).
- A normal sleep regime is ensured, as insomnia changes hormonal secretions, favoring fat deposits.
Compliance with these recommendations ensures the need for vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, and mineral salts so that the body’s weight decreases to normal values.
Fighting obesity through sport
Exercise is a wonderful thing, it can relieve stress, stimulate the brain and body, and even help you sleep better at night. And it’s not just great for your health: it can also help combat obesity, which has been called a “disease of poverty” in some places.
If a person tries to lose weight, they must burn more calories than they eat, which means that the more active a person is, the easier it will be for them to lose weight.
Exercise is such an important part of weight loss that doctors recommend at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most days to their patients.
I created home exercise programs (no equipment needed) to help you lose weight and fat:
• H.I.I.T Workouts: HERE
Of course, as in the case of the above diets, I recommend that you visit your physicist for a set of tests, after which it can recommend whether or not you are allowed to exercise.
Some of these workouts, such as the HIIT ones, may seem very difficult to you, although they are designed for beginners, I can tell you from my own experience that they give results.
The idea is to start you will not be able to do that number of reps from the beginning, but it is not a problem, the most important thing is to learn the correct form, and over time your strength will increase, and you will be able to add 1.2 reps.
I wrote above that I tell you from my own experience, YES! it’s true, check out my About page and you’ll be convinced, that, part of my decision to create Birdy’s Health Dose was due to this problem that I’ve been through in the past, so I truly understand those who are obese!
Pills, Powders, Natural Products for Weight Loss
An increasing number of medicines and herbal products that boast the ability to cause weight loss are available on the market. Although most of them don’t have the effect stated and expected by the consumer by far, some are based on scientific principles of action and whose efficiency has been demonstrated.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- 5 ways to maintain your body weight after a weight loss cure
- List of the permitted & prohibited foods in the weight loss diet
- 9 reasons for which we cannot lose weight
- 5 mistakes which prevent you to get rid of the belly fat
- The 10 key principles of healthy weight loss
- The correct combination of foods
- Alkaline nutrition vs acidic nutrition