The recipe for dumplings with plums is one that I ate with pleasure as a child, being prepared by my grandmother every autumn. It is a cheap and delicious autumn dessert.
Being very filling, they don’t go well served after 2 other dishes. Mandatory, breadcrumbs are browned in butter, sometimes mixed with caster sugar (which is easily caramelized in the pan). The variety and size of plums also matter a lot – the most suitable are the smallest, well-ripened.
Equally important is the potato variety from which the plum dumpling dough is prepared. The potatoes must be white and boiled whole in their skins. We do not boil the diced potatoes in water because it is soaked with it and the dough will “swallow” a lot of flour!
14 pcs. plum dumplings
• 600 g potatoes
• 1 tablespoon of butter (40 g)
• 1 pinch of salt
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoons of semolina
• 150 g of flour
• 7 plums
• 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 300 g of breadcrumbs
• 60 g of brown sugar
• 100 g of butter
METHOD OF PREPARATION
1) For starters, wash the plums, dry them well, and cut them in half. We put them on a plate and powder them with one tablespoon of sugar and cinnamon.
2) We wash the potatoes and boil them whole, we do not clean them or cut them. Boil the potatoes over low heat, this way you avoid cracking the peel. If we have a shell cracked, the potato absorbs water and the dough will “swallow” more flour. I usually boil more potatoes, if one cracks, you can choose another potato with intact skin. After the potatoes have boiled, take them out of the water and let them cool.
3) While the potatoes are boiling, melt the butter in a non-stick pan over low heat and add the breadcrumbs. Brown it over low heat for a few minutes. When it turns golden, turn off the heat and add the sugar. Sugar is always added after we turn off the heat. I always used caster sugar, not powdered sugar. I love the crunchy combination of breadcrumbs and caster sugar! If you want, you can add a little cinnamon in the breadcrumbs, I prefer only breadcrumbs and sugar. Mix well and let it cool completely.
4) After they have cooled, peel the potatoes and grate them with small holes. Add the eggs, salt, flour, and semolina, and mix. We will get a sticky but homogeneous dough.
5) I do not advise you to add more flour because the dumplings will be hard after boiling. Only if the dough is extremely wet, we can add a maximum of 1 tablespoon of flour and 1 tablespoon of semolina. The consistency of the dough should be slightly sticky. Don’t worry, the dumplings will shape without problems if we have our hands permanently wet with water.
6) Fill a pot with water and boil it. When it starts to boil, add 1 tablespoon of oil and ½ teaspoon grated salt.
7) With wet hands (after each dumpling, we wet our hands with water again), break the pieces of dough, and flatten them. We put half a plum in the center of each one, then we close the dough and give it a dumpling shape.
8) Place the plum dumplings formed on a flat plate also watered with water. The dumplings will sit quietly on the plate, without sticking to it, until they are boiled.
9) Put the dumplings in the pot, 3-4 at a time, and boil them until they rise to the surface on their own. We don’t boil a lot of dumplings at once because they can stick together. Remove them with a spatula with holes and put them directly in the pan with breadcrumbs. We rotate them on all sides so that they are perfectly wrapped in crispy breadcrumbs.
10) Serve the plum dumplings immediately, hot, or let them cool. I like colds, but I never refuse a hot plum dumpling.
Take full advantage of these wonderful fruits!
Plums are not only delicious but also very healthy. They are rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, K, potassium, and fiber. Stimulates memory, prevents heart disease and diabetes fights anemia, treats constipation, and is full of good carbohydrates.
Plums are ideal for diets! A plum contains only 30 calories.
Try the recipe and you will see for yourself how tasty they are.
Made according to this recipe, plum dumplings will be slightly fluffy, not sticky, and hard as stone.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
You may also like:
- Autumn delight: apples cooked with nuts, raisins, and almonds
- Homemade quince jam: fast natural autumn recipe without preservatives
- Grandma’s delicious autumn dessert: baked apples with fruits, nuts, and honey
- Delicious biscuits with coconut flakes and grated apples
- Vegan gluten-free almond snack bars with dates filling