Desserts are one of the most important aspects of the Holiday table. Christmas would not be Christmas without the scent of homemade cakes.
And because they offer is varied, I thought I would recommend 3 delicious traditional Romanian desserts that I tried, only good to sweeten your loved ones.
1) Nuts with Lemon Cream
Today I invite you to remember your childhood! I present a tasty recipe: Nuts with Lemon Cream.
The nuts are made very easy, you just have to get the press!
• 550 g flour
• 150 g sugar
• 100 g butter
• 5 g baking powder
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 2 eggs
• 300 ml of milk
• 150 g butter
• 150 g sugar powder
• 3 tablespoons starch
• 1 lemon
Method of Preparation
• For the shells, mix the eggs with the sugar and butter at room temperature.
• The flour is sifted, mixed with baking powder, and then incorporated into the previous mixture, kneading until a slightly elastic dough is obtained.
• From this dough are formed balls of the same size. The nut press is greased with a little oil and put on the flame from the stove until it is hot.
• Then put a dough ball in each shape, close the press, and bake on the flame about 2 minutes on each side.
• My advice is to try a few balls first to see exactly the size you need.
• Remove the shells from the press, allow to cool, and repeat the process until the dough is finished.
• For the cream, mix the starch with the powdered sugar (keep 2 tablespoons aside) in milk and then put on medium heat, mixing with a saucepan until the composition thickens.
• Allow cooling. Meanwhile, rub the butter at room temperature with the 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and add the composition obtained previously with the juice and lemon peel.
• Fill the nuts with cream and leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours to cool. At the time of serving powder with sugar.
2) Chocolate Cake with Cheese Balls and Coconut
This chocolate cake with cheese and coconut balls is more than delicious … and it has exactly what it takes to get it on the list of the best cakes:: a tender chocolate dough, “candy” of aromatic cheese, and coconut and a fine and chocolatey glaze !!!
- 4 eggs
- 60 g sugar
- 50 g melted chocolate
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons starch
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Cheese and coconut balls:
- 250 g sweet cow cheese (fresh)
- 50 g grated coconut
- 50 g sugar powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon starch or 1 teaspoon flour
- 100 ml of milk
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 150 g chocolate (50% cocoa)
Method of Preparation
• Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
• A cake shape with diam. 24 cm or a maximum of 26 cm, not larger
• For the coconut balls, which are placed first in the form, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl: the sweet cheese with powdered sugar, the egg yolks, the coconut, and the starch.
• It is modeled with wet hands, the size of a walnut.
• The balls are placed in the tray lined with baking paper and greased with a little butter:
• For the chocolate top, the eggs are separated; whisk the whites with the dust of salt and sugar.
• Add the yolks, one by one, mixing slightly after each.
• Add melted chocolate and then flour, starch, baking powder, and cocoa.
• Pour the resulting composition over the cheese balls:
• The cake is baked for approx. 20-22 minutes:
• Prepare the chocolate frosting: place all the ingredients in a kettle and simmer for a few minutes (2-3 minutes), until thickened.
• Set aside and allow to cool well, then pour over the cake.
• The cake is cut only when it is cold:
3) Romanian Sweetbread (Traditional Recipe)
Sweetbread is a traditional Romanian dessert that we cook for Easter and Christmas, but also with other occasions.
Depending on the shape that the sweet bread has, they can be straight or round, simple or braided. If we want to make braided sweetbreads, we have to give up the filling and use pieces of dried fruits that we included in the dough.
From a kg of flour, I get two sweetbreads, in trays (bread shapes) suitable as size. The sweetbread can be filled with walnut, Turkish delight, raisins, or poppy.
- 1 kg flour
- 3 eggs
- 250 g sugar
- one package of yeast (50 g)
- 500 ml of milk
- 100 ml of oil
- A teaspoon with a pinch of salt
- Rum essence
- Lemon peel
Ingredients for the filling
For the filling, you use according to your preferences: nut kernel mixed with cocoa, a little milk, vanilla sugar, rum essence, raisins, Turkish delight.
Method of Preparation
• First, prepare the leaven: In a smaller saucepan, mix the yeast with 100-150 ml of milk, and approx. 1/4 of the amount of sugar.
• After the yeast dissolves, add the flour (not all), just until the consistency of cream – as in the check.
• Place the pan in a warmer place and expect to increase 30-40 min depending on how hot it is.
• Meanwhile, beat the eggs with sugar.
• The rest of the flour must be prepared in a larger bowl so that you can knead the dough and also have room to grow.
• I mix the salt from the beginning in the flour. After the leaven has grown, pour over the flour, but also the beaten eggs with sugar.
• Milk and oil must be prepared (slightly warmed) beforehand.
• Knead by hand until the leaven and the composition of the eggs and sugar are incorporated. Gradually add the warm milk and knead until you get a softer dough than the one for bread.
• Put in the aromas and start adding the oil gradually. I knead the dough about 10 – 15 min. slamming it on the bowl.
• If the yeast is good, the dough makes small puffs filled with air. Put the dough to rest in a warm place.
• In about an hour and a half, it grows as big as the bowl.
• If you used one kg of flour, divide the dough into two.
• Extend them one by one with the rolling pin. Put the desired filling, rolled, and placed in the trays that were previously oiled.
• To me, the tray is filled with 1/2 of dough and I let it rest until it rises in level with the tray.
• The oven must be preheated. When the dough has grown in the trays, place it on the oven and let it brown on the surface.
• Do the test with a toothpick.
• Finally, I anoint them with a thicker syrup, from a few tablespoons of water and sugar.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
You may also like:
- A delicious recipe from childhood: biscuits salami
- A delicious dessert of fall: pears in the oven filled with honey, nuts, and cinnamon
- Autumn delight: apples cooked with nuts, raisins, and almonds
- Homemade quince jam: fast natural autumn recipe without preservatives
- Grandma’s delicious autumn dessert: baked apples with fruits, nuts, and honey