“Like mushrooms after the rain” – this is how the benefits of a hot mushroom soup eaten with loved ones appear when it is cold outside. Mushrooms are rich in water and have about 90% water so they are low in calories and suitable for those who are on a diet. These vegetables are a valuable source of protein and fiber, they are generally affordable.
Also, mushrooms are valuable for the content of selenium, potassium, copper, iron, and phosphorus but also for B vitamins, vitamins B1, (B2), (B3), (B6), and folic acid.
Lately, more and more research shows that mushrooms could easily fall into the category of superfoods, along with broccoli and blueberries. Their main benefits are to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
So, what do you say if you organize a surprise for your loved ones this weekend and prepare soup for them at lunch, but not a simple one but a delicious combination of mushrooms and onions, ennobled with Mediterranean aromas of almonds and saffron?
• 200 g of fresh mushrooms
• 3 slices of wholemeal toast
• 1 peeled and chopped tomato
• 1/4 finely chopped onion
• 1 l of vegetable soup
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the “special” ingredient we need:
• 1 clove of garlic
• 3 fried almonds
• 1 saffron powder
• 1 pinch of salt.
Method of preparation for this Vegan Mushroom Soup with Mediterranean Almond and Saffron Flavors:
1. Wash and peel the mushrooms. Remove the end of the legs and cut the mushrooms into four (if large) or two (if smaller).
2. Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Fry the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, add the onion, and fry together until the onion turns golden.
3. Add the chopped tomato and fry everything for 6-8 minutes.
4. After that, pour the vegetable soup but keep aside 2-3 tablespoons of the soup for the “special” ingredient.
5. When the mixture starts to boil, add the 3 slices of bread cut into cubes, and salt to taste. Boil for another 15 minutes over medium heat.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the “special” ingredient that will give the unique taste of this soup. For this, we need 1 clove of garlic, 3 fried almonds, 1 saffron powder, and 1 salt powder.
7. In a mortar, crush with a pestle, adding one after the other: garlic, saffron, and almonds. Add the two tablespoons of soup and salt and mix well.
8. Pour the “special” ingredient into the pot over the mushroom soup and simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Add more salt if needed and… the soup is ready! Serve hot!
I hope you guys try this creamy vegan mushroom soup and enjoy it as I do. It’s very smooth, velvety, flavorful, and healthy with a good balance of protein and the right amount of carbohydrates–not to mention loads of vitamins and minerals!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?