In today’s article, I will discuss one of the healthiest autumn vegetables with a suite of miraculous properties: Beetroot, I will start with an overview, I will continue with nutritional values, 7 health benefits, use, and last but not least. about the side effects of beets.
Beetroot has been known and used for centuries to treat several ailments, but it is also one of the most nutritious foods due to the complex vitamins and minerals it contains.
It can be eaten throughout the year, including in the cold season, and can be easily purchased and used as a food both raw and traditionally cooked. This is a miraculous nutritional supplement for the body.
In fact, in natural medicine, this vegetable is a true legend, its healing properties in blood, tumor, or liver diseases being known since 150 years ago, when the founders of modern natural therapy brought back to light the first traditional remedies.
In the raw state, beetroot does not taste very great, while boiling, it is pleasant to taste, but – as research shows – it loses much of its therapeutic qualities.
Raw beets contain extremely strong substances, which requires that the treatment be dosed carefully, and in precise quantities.
What nutrients does beetroot contain?
This root plant contains many nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamins B1, B2, B6, vitamin C, sodium, calcium, sulfur, copper, iron, iodine, potassium, folic acid, and antioxidants. Beetroot is easy to digest and is rich in water (over 90%), sugars, and fiber.
The pigment that gives the roots a red-purple color and has an antioxidant action is saponin. Beets are also rich in plant substances that facilitate the elimination of fats; glutamic acid, an amino acid that stimulates the activity of the nervous system.
The Only 100% Natural Formula that Helps Torching Off Fat from Your Problem Areas – FDA Approved, Vegetarian, Non-GMO, and Gluten Free
7 Benefits of Beetroot:
Here are the most important positive effects it has on health:
1. Fight against anemia
Beetroot contains a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and active substances. Among them, it contains iron, but also folic acid – important in the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow.
2. Protects the liver
Liver disease can be alleviated by eating beets. Thus, for fatty liver, tired liver, lazy liver, or even in infectious conditions such as hepatitis, beetroot helps to improve cell metabolism and prolongs the life of liver cells.
3. Keep your heart healthy
A 250 ml glass of beetroot juice a day lowers blood pressure considerably. The higher the blood pressure, the greater the decrease.
If consumed on a large scale, beets could reduce deaths from cardiovascular disease by 10%, the researchers believe.
4. Prevents cancer
Beta-cyanine, which gives the color red, is a powerful antioxidant that has cancer-preventing properties.
5. Fight depression
Recent research has shown that beetroot has the power to control mood, thanks to the betaine contained, which is known to relax the mind and relieve depression.
6. Increases endurance
Beetroot juice increases the body’s physical endurance, helping people to prolong their exercise program.
7. Fight against tumors
Beetroot contains enzymes and substances with antitumor properties, which means that juice and salad are best for treating and preventing cancerous tumors.
Consumed regularly, it prevents and treats leukemia, lung, colon, rectal and gastric cancer because it is rich in antioxidants.
What beets can beets be used for:
• Beet hummus
• Beetroot cream soup
• Pickled red beets
• Beet salad with horseradish
• Beet salad with fish
• Risotto with beets
• Beet cake.
It can be eaten in various forms, either we can squeeze it and drink the juice, or we eat it raw, in the form of salad or boiled, in soup or puree, in the oven.
You may also read: Baked Beetroot Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnuts – Nutritious and Tasty
Side effects of beetroot
When consumed in moderation or as a medical treatment, beets are safe. That being said, the excess can be harmful, and too much beet consumption could have the following consequences.
Excessive consumption of beets can reduce the level of calcium absorption, which can increase the formation of kidney stones.
Too much consumption of beets causes the urine to turn red. This phenomenon is observed in 10-15% of people. Sometimes we tend to think it’s blood, even though it’s not.
Problems with excess iron or copper
People with hemochromatosis and Wilson’s disease should avoid eating beets. These pathologies are related to the excess of iron and copper, substances strongly present in beets.
Potential problems during pregnancy
Pregnant women should eat betaine-containing foods in moderation. Beetroot is just one of them.
4 Red Beet Recipes
1) Energizing delicacy: Beetroot juice
• 1 medium beet
• 1 small apple
• 1 medium carrot
• Juice from half a lemon to prevent oxidation of ingredients.
Method of preparation:
1. Wash the ingredients well, peel the beetroot and grate it, peel the carrot and cut it, remove the apple seeds and cut it, then add the lemon juice, then mix in a blender.
2. Drink the juice on an empty stomach, one hour before breakfast, to allow nutrients to be absorbed.
2) Detoxifying beetroot salad
• 1 ripe red beet
• 4 cherry tomatoes
• 1 carrot
• Parsley leaves
• Pine bud seeds
• Olive oil
• Lemon juice
• 1 tbsp of mustard
How is it prepared:
1. In a bowl put the grated beetroot and carrot, add the cherry tomatoes cut into quarters, and the chopped parsley.
2. Pour the dressing prepared from lemon juice, mustard, salt, and olive oil, and finally sprinkle pine bud seeds on top.
3) Beetroot salad recipe with fish
• 1 large beet or 2 smaller beets
• 6 pickled cucumbers
• 1 red onion
• 400 g marinated fish
• 3 potatoes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Apple vinegar
Method of preparation:
1. Wash the beets and put them to boil or bake. The salad will be delicious with boiled beets and baked beets. If you put boiled beets, then add a teaspoon of salt to the water. Salt helps it boil faster.
2. Wash the potatoes well and boil them in salted water and cover with a lid.
3. If you do not have marinated fish, then you can use frozen fish in the recipe, defrost it, and prepare it in the oven.
4. After the potatoes and beets have boiled, allow them to cool slightly, clean, and cut into cubes. Put in a bowl and mix with the fish, sliced onions, and sliced cucumbers.
5. Beet salad with fish is seasoned with salt and pepper, add olive oil, and season to taste with apple cider vinegar.
4) Hummus with beetroot
• 2 medium pieces of beets
• 400 g boiled chickpeas
• ½ teaspoon of salt
• 3 tablespoons tahini
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons of water
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons rosemary or cumin (optional).
Method of preparation:
1. Wash the beets well and bake them, covered with baking paper or aluminum foil, for 45 minutes. If, when you prick it with a toothpick it enters easily, which means that it is ready. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes. While it cools, prepare the hummus.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender (except for the olive oil, which you add only at the end, gradually).
3. When the beets have cooled, clean them, cut them into small pieces and pass them in a blender, until they are completely soft. Add it over the hummus made earlier and you have prepared the tastiest hummus with beets!
Everything the body needs is found in beets. Consumed in vinegar, fresh or baked, it is a nutritious superfood with many health benefits. Vitamins A, C, and B complex, sulfur, sodium, calcium, iron, iodine, potassium, and antioxidants in beets help treat many ailments.
It can be eaten in various forms, either we can squeeze it and drink the juice, or we eat it raw in the form of salad or boiled, or in soup or puree, or the oven.
A lot of food can get color, flavor, and extra vitamins by simply adding beets.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our Disclaimer for more info.
What do you guys think about my article?
You may also like:
- The correct combination of foods
- Alkaline nutrition vs acidic nutrition
- 10 healthy food habits for a healthy lifestyle
- The 5 Healthy Food Categories You Need to Include in Your Daily Diet to Lose Weight
- Superfoods – The Complete Guide: What Are They? Benefits, Importance, Types, Use, Recipes
- Top 7 alkaline foods which make wonders for the health
- The pumpkin: a miracle for our health!
- Walnuts: 7 Health Benefits, Uses, and Nutritional Values
- Grapes – Natural Medicines: 11 Amazing Health Benefits, Nutritional Values, Adverse Effects
- Mushrooms – Superfood: 8 Benefits, Varieties, Nutritional Value